Saturday, July 9, 2011

Fresh reminders



In my reading this morning I came across the verse in Romans 2:16.  Did you ever read the bible and one verse just seems to jump up off the page at you in 3-D technicolor? (ok, slight exageration, but it did jump out at me lol)

... in the day when God will judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ, according to my gospel.

I suddenly noticed three things about this one little line.

--God will judge the secret things, not all the nice things that we are proud of doing in his name and would be fine if everyone saw. Oh no, the secret things. The things that we don't even want to admit to ourselves that we are doing which are unpleasing to God, and perhaps even those things which we don't do which God has placed on our hearts and we are ignoring. Those might also be locked away in some secret place, out of the way, as not to challenge us anymore in the area of obedience. This causes me to search and to find all kinds of things that need to be set aright and praise His name that He reveals these things to us.

-- God will be judging by Jesus Christ. He and his life is the standard. As I compare how I am living out my life, with the knowledge that His life is the standard, how am I measuring up.  Again, I fall short in many areas and thank Him that he has made me aware to some and for His help to grow stronger in them and more like him.

-- And finally, God will judge according to my (Paul's) gospel, which lays out that through Christ is the only way of salvation. And here are a few things which Paul wrote in this gospel (or letter)


1. We must acknowledge God as the Creator of everything, accepting our humble position in God's created order and purpose. Romans 1:20-21:

"For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse, because, although they knew God, they did not glorify Him as God, nor were thankful, but became futile in their thoughts, and their foolish hearts were darkened."

2. We must realize that we are sinners and that we need forgiveness. None of us are worthy in and of ourselves. Romans 3:23:

For all have sinned, and fall short of the glory of God.

3. God gave us the way to be forgiven of our sins. He showed us His love by giving us the potential for life through the death of His Son, Jesus Christ. Romans 5:8:

But God demonstrates His love toward us, in that, while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

4. If we remain sinners, we will die. However, if we repent of our sins, and accept Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior, we will have eternal life. Romans 6:23:

For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

5. Confess that Jesus Christ is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead and you are saved. Romans 10:9-10:

That if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

6. There are no other religious formulas or rituals. Just call upon the name of the Lord and you will be saved! Romans 10:13:

For whoever calls on the name of the LORD shall be saved.

7. Determine in your heart to make Jesus Christ the Lord of your life today. Romans 11:36:

"For of Him and through Him and to Him are all things, to whom be glory forever. Amen."


I am reminded once again how awesome God is.  How thankful I am for the sacrifice of His son atoning for all my sin and making way for forgiveness. And am again encouraged by His words,

"I will never leave you nor forsake you"


That He will be here for me every step of my journey through life providing all I have need of both temporal and spiritual.


Praise His name
and bless the friends.

5 comments:

  1. "There are no other religious formulas or rituals. Just call upon the name of the Lord and you will be saved!"

    There are no religious formulas or rituals, period-- None that work like a chemistry experiment. What works... is that God actually does love us, and helps out so far as our various ways of frustrating His intention permit.

    Even if we were supposed to turn to a book about God... instead of to God directly:

    What you've said about your passage misses an important consideration; we don't get judged according to how much we resemble Jesus. If we are judgemental, we suffer judgement. But so far as we judge as Jesus judges, we will be judged as he would judge us.

    And how he judged... truthfully, and with a compassion that people felt, and healed under.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Forrest,

    That post above was not removed, it just didn't post correctly. Anyway....

    Thank you so much for taking the time to visit my blog and read today's rather long post lol.

    My blog is a personal journey blog as you will note at the bottom of the About Me column to the left.

    Also at the start of my post I began with
    ..."In my reading this morning..."

    Now, I will never claim to be leader in bible teaching. I am simply another one of His children sharing my experiences and maybe some days others may be encouraged by something I have written.

    The three things which I have gained from my time with the Lord this morning are,

    --Praising Him for fresh revelation on some things I need to work on with His help.

    --Thankfulness to Him, that He helps me to grow stronger as I yield to Him.

    --And a glad heart, that He will be here for me every step of my journey through life providing all I have need of both temporal and spiritual.

    All mentioned in the various paragraphs.

    And that's good enough fruit for me to eat on all day brother!

    I am sorry if anything was clumsily written as sometimes happens on the web.

    I hope you will come back again and follow along.

    Bless you brother!

    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that God is continually teaching those who want to learn, and that what you were given this morning was good for your present understanding.

    I also find the process of learning goes better when people do it together. Not necessarily always agreeing with each other, but letting God show us how understanding and inspiration works in someone else.

    Though I know how mistaken I'd be to envy anyone, I almost envy the simple feeling you apparently have for God. I'm critical, and like to dig into the odd questions; that's my nature (a nature also to be grateful for, though it makes my walk with God a bumpy one!)

    If I do follow here, I am likely to be a critical intruder, while if you take to putting in an occasional word at http://kwakerskripturestudy.blogspot.com/, I believe it will help make the tone more devout, less analytical, which may well be a badly-needed ingredient!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I surely will stop by for a visit!

    Goodnight brother.

    ReplyDelete